IET Awards - Engineering Horizons Bursary
Awards, prizes and scholarships within engineering and technology
Other IET Awards
Engineering Horizons Bursary
View video about the opportunities the IET Engineering Horizons Bursary offers....
Please note the IET Engineering Horizons Bursary criteria and online application form will be updated in February 2017.
For Apprentices and Students
Thanks to our donors 26 bursaries of £1,000 per year for apprentices and students were available in 2016 !
IET Engineering Horizons Bursary is funded by the IET, charitable Foundations and Trusts. If you are awarded an IET Bursary you will be expected to be an Ambassador for the IET and the engineering profession and to sign Terms and Conditions.
We are pleased to announce that The Engineer’s Trust will support 5 bursaries, Lloyd’s Register Foundation will support 12 bursaries and The Manly Trust will support 2 bursaries.
The Engineers Trust is the charitable trust of the Worshipful Company of Engineers, a London Livery Company. The charity acknowledges excellence in engineering, supports engineering education and research, gives grants and assists in the support of hardship experienced by engineers, particularly whilst in education. The Trust Fund gives annual awards and prizes to support and encourage excellence amongst qualified engineers and those training to be Chartered Engineers, Incorporated Engineers and engineering Technicians.
Lloyd’s Register Foundation helps to protect life and property by supporting engineering-related education, public engagement and the application of research.
The Manly Trust's primary objective is to advance the science of engineering by granting financial assistance to organisations that encourage an interest in STEM subjects amongst young people or that promote or provide education in engineering.
Who can apply?
Passionate engineering apprentices or students (including mature and part-time students) who have followed a vocational route into engineering (HNC, HND, Access to Higher Education Diploma and similar qualifications), who face obstacles or personal challenges, and need financial assistance,can apply.
Our bursary is designed to help you if you’re struggling with money. Examples of how it might be used include going towards buying books, a computer or even transport for your work or education.
IET Engineering Horizons Bursary holders will receive:
- Apprentices: annual award of £1,000 per year, for the duration of the apprenticeship (up to 4 years).
- Undergraduates: annual award of £1,000 per year for the duration for the degree, up to 3 years for Bachelors students and 4 years for MEng students.
- All bursary-holders will receive a certificate, presented at a celebration ceremony in February 2017.
- All bursary-holders will receive free membership of the IET for the duration of their apprenticeship or degree course if not already received through their IET Approved Apprenticeship scheme or as an IET Academic Partner with their university.
- All bursary-holders will benefit from advice and information from the IET on Engineering Technician (EngTech) or ICT Technician (ICTTech) registration and also technician professional registration application fee, when ready to apply, as well as support with Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and Chartered Engineer (CEng) professional registration.
- All winners will also be supported to become an ambassador for the IET and Engineering profession.
- The first payment will be made in January 2017.
The IET Engineering Horizons Bursary is for UK residents only.
- UK residents
- Apprentices who are already in their first year at the date of applying for the bursary or who are about to start their first year of an IET approved apprenticeship scheme or on an Accredited Siemens Group Scheme
- Who need financial support to help them with their apprenticeship.
- Who have a passion for engineering.
- UK residents
- Students who are already in their first year of university at the date of applying for the bursary or who are about to start their first onto an IET accredited degree course in the United Kingdom.
- Who need financial support to help them with their engineering studies.
- Who have a passion for engineering.
- Students who are already in receipt of, or who are eligible for, an IET Diamond Jubilee scholarship are not eligible for this award.
How to apply
Complete the online application form using the link at the top of this page. Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the deadline.
- Log in to the online system when you have read the eligibility criteria on this webpage and you are ready to complete the online form. Enter your email address and the password you chose when you registered with the system.
- Please read all the instructions carefully.
- Submitting an application is a multi-step process. Each step asks several questions. Some questions are marked “required” and you will not be able to complete your submission until these questions have been answered. You can provide draft answers and amend these any time up until the closing date.
- Please note that the information you enter will only be saved if you click ‘next’. If you click to go ‘back’, any information you entered will be lost.
- If you have to stop part way through the process your submission will be saved until you return later and complete all the questions. When you log in again you can click on your incomplete online form and resume submission.
Amending a submission
You may wish to change your submission. You can do this at any time up to the deadline.
- Log in to the online submission system. You will see a link to the form you have submitted.
- Amending a submission is just the same as the original submission process except the answers that you gave previously will be automatically filled in.
The application system will close promptly at 17:00 (BST) on 12 October 2017. You can review and amend the application as often as you like up to the closing date.
If you have any questions or need any help in completing the application form, please contact Horizons@theiet.org
2017 Key date
Engineering Horizons Bursary Applications:
12 October 2017
Submit an Engineering Horizons Bursary application
The 2017 online application form will be available from February.
IET Scholarships (PDF)Alternative Sources of Financial Assistance (PDF)
Vocational and apprenticeship routes into engineering