IET Awards - Postgraduate scholarships
Awards, prizes and scholarships within engineering and technology
Other IET Awards
Up to five awards of £2,500 to £10,000 are available for IET members who have started their PhD or EngD research programme and achieved a 2:1 or higher in their first degree. Postgraduate scholarships are awarded for excellence rather than financial need and are financed from bequests given to the IET by its members.
IET Postgraduate Scholarship for an outstanding researcher: £10,000
For a doctoral researcher carrying out research at an internationally recognised university with a high reputation for research. The Scholarship aims to help researchers to share advancing knowledge throughout the global science, engineering and technology community to enhance people’s lives around the world.
Leslie H Paddle Scholarship: £5,000
For doctoral research, which will further the art, science or practice of engineering and technology, with a preference towards electronic or radio engineering. The candidate must be in the first or second year of the research programme and currently resident in the United Kingdom.
Hudswell International Research Scholarship: £5,000
To assist with advanced research work leading to the award of a Doctorate at an internationally recognised university or research establishment with a high reputation for research in the field of electrical, electronic, manufacturing engineering. The research programme will ideally be undertaken outside the applicant’s home country. Applicants must be in the first or second year of the research programme.
IET Postgraduate Scholarships: Up to two awards of £2,500
To encourage excellence in research in the field of electrical, electronic or manufacturing engineering at an internationally recognised university with a high reputation for research.
Criteria for all postgraduate scholarships
- Postgraduate awards are for members of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Applicants do not need to be professionally registered engineers, but they must satisfy the educational requirements for Registration as either a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2:1 (or equivalent) in their first degree
- The scholarships are intended to reward excellence rather than alleviate financial hardship. An IET Postgraduate scholarship may be held in addition to a Student Loan/EPSRC grant, or similar, and company bursaries.
- The postgraduate research must have started prior to submitting an application; MSc courses are not eligible
- A reference will need to be sent independently by the referee
- Awarded on a competitive basis, applications are assessed by the Scholarships Committee
- Applicants do not need to apply for a specific scholarship. The Committee will consider applicants for all scholarships for which they meet the eligibility requirements
- Candidates may not be in receipt of any other IET Scholarship or Grant
- Successful applicants are not allowed to make a repeat application
How to Apply
- Complete the application form. Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the deadline.
- Forward a reference form to your referee for completion. Your referee should be someone who is in a position to comment on your academic ability, e.g. PhD supervisor or employer. The reference must be submitted to email@example.com by your referee (not yourself) by the deadline.
- Short-listed applicants will be invited to attend an interview in London.
2017 Key dates
7 June 2017 Interviews will be held at IET Savoy Place, London
15 November 2017 IET Achievement Awards Ceremony