IET Awards - Welsh Scholarship
Awards, prizes and scholarships within engineering and technology
Other IET Awards
IET Welsh Scholarship
IET Tubbs Family Blaenau Gwent Scholarship
If you are commencing an IET accredited engineering Bachelors or MEng degree programme at Cardiff University then you could be eligible for a scholarship worth £3,000 per year.
To be eligible for an IET Tubbs Family Blaenau Gwent Scholarship you will need to:
- Achieve 'A' Level or Higher National Diploma or equivalent grades to satisfy Cardiff University entrance requirements
- Demonstrate an interest in engineering
- Show evidence that financial support will help you continue your engineering studies
- About to commence studying on an IET accredited undergraduate degree programme at Cardiff University (please see paragraph below regarding IET Accreditation)
- This scholarship has been created to help students from South Wales pursue an education and career in engineering. Ideally, you will be from one of the following regions: Ebbw Vale, Tredegar or Beaufort and Cwm, Brynmawr in Blaenau Gwent, Clydach, Abergavenny in Monmouthshire or other areas of the South Wales Valleys.
All applicants for the IET Tubbs Family Blaenau Gwent Scholarship must be about to commence studying on an IET accredited undergraduate degree programme.at Cardiff University. A list of the eligible programmes can be found at http://www.theiet.org/academics/accreditation and include the Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Integrated Engineering programmes.
The IET Tubbs Family Blaenau Gwent Scholarship winner will receive a scholarship of £3,000 per year for the duration of the course, up to a maximum of £9,000 for BEng students and £12,000 for MEng students. The winner will also receive free student membership of the IET for the duration of their course.
|The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Tubbs Family Blaenau Gwent Scholarship, worth £3,000 per year, has been made possible as a result of a generous donation by an IET member of more than 50 years, Graham Tubbs and his wife, Kathleen.|
Applications for the Scholarship
The application process for the Scholarship is being managed by Cardiff University and the closing date is 30 January 2015. If you think you meet the above criteria, please contact engineering-UG@cardiff.ac.uk for further information.
Adrian Marc McDarren achieved D*D*D* in BTEC Engineering from Cardiff and Vale College. He is a mature student supporting a family and has over ten year’s practical experience in the engineering industry (machine operator, sheet metal worker and fitter). He started a BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree course at Cardiff University in September 2014 and is due to complete it in June 2017.
Adrian is a committed and dedicated individual who has studied a BTEC National Diploma in Engineering and Design alongside a City and Guilds in Autodesk software at Cardiff and the Vale College. He found his previous studies served him well as they have provided all the foundational knowledge required for his move to degree level education, which he found to be a very positive and fulfilling experience. He has undertaken many lines of employment in the past such as fitting and refurbishing air conditioning units on cruise ships for AMT Marine, a machine operator for Scott Timbre and a line controller for LG Electronics Wales just to mention a few, however, this work experience coupled with his determination has helped him realise that he is capable of achieving his dream, of becoming an engineer.