Other IET Awards
Travel Awards 2017
Up to twelve awards worth up to £500 are available throughout the year for IET members who present a paper/poster at conferences around the world, or participate in international research visit or projects. Travel awards are financed from bequests given to the IET by its members and are available to members in any country, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria and the travel is international.
Criteria for Travel Awards
- Travel awards are open to the following categories of IET membership: Student, TMIET, MIET and FIET. Associate members and lapsed members are not eligible to apply.
- You must have been a member of the IET for a minimum of one year at the date of application.
- Applications for travel already undertaken will not be considered.
- The proposed travel must not occur less than two months after the closing date for applications and must be supported by documentary evidence of the travel intention (e.g. invitation from the conference organiser) and confirmation that visa has been sought (if required).
- A reference will need to be sent independently by the referee.
- No more than two applications can be submitted in a twelve-month period.
- If you have already received an IET Travel Award, you can not apply again within twelve months.
- Winners are required to ensure they reference the IET and include an IET logo in their published paper/poster.
- Winners are required to submit a professional report of up to 1,000 words within one month of the completion of the trip which will be published on the IET Awards website.
- If a successful applicant does not undertake the visit, or submit a report within one month of the visit, they must return the funding to the IET.
The application process is competitive and submissions will be judged against other applications. Applications will be assessed on:
- soundness and worthiness of the applicant's ideas relating to the purpose for which the money would be used if awarded
- the research promise and evidence of ability of the applicant
- a genuine financial need for the award, in so far that there is insufficient assistance available from other sources of finance.
All eligible applications will be reviewed by the IET Scholarships Committee and their decision will be communicated by the dates shown below. Decisions reached will be regarded as final and no further correspondence relating to the allocation of awards can be entered into after the decisions have been announced.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form using the link at the top of the page. Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the deadline.
- Forward the reference form to your referee for completion. The reference must be submitted to email@example.com by your referee (not yourself) by the deadline.
2017 Key dates
On average, the Scholarships Committee awards two travel grants every second month
Deadline for application
Applicants notified by
|25 January 2017||8 February 2017|
|22 March 2017||12 April 2017|
|17 May 2017||7 June 2017|
|26 July 2017||9 August 2017|
|27 September 2017||11 October 2017|
|22 November 2017||6 December 2017|