16 November 2016 | The Brewery, London, UK
Sponsored by GCHQ
Supported by Cambridge Wireless
Congratulations to our finalists
The following entries have been shortlisted for the 2016 Communications Innovation Award:
Wayfindr – Audio Navigation System for Visually Impaired People
Wayfindr uses battery powered Bluetooth low energy beacons to aid the navigation of visually impaired people around the underground network. It uses a mobile application on users smartphones.
London Underground Limited
Wearable system for communication and navigation Bip2see
Bip2See is a wearable innovation system based on artificial vision, sounds and speech able to help disabled (blind, with dementia or Alzheimers and autistic) and elderly people to navigate and communicate in a natural way.
Universitat Politècnica de Valencia
World Record in 5G Wireless Spectrum Efficiency With Massive MIMO
A massive MIMO system utilises a large number of antennas to simultaneously serve many wireless devices. With a prototype implementation, we demonstrated the highest spectral efficiency achieved so far for any wireless communications system in the world, serving 22 times as many simultaneous users as today’s 4G communication systems.
University of Bristol
CrowdCell: Breaking the paradigm of small cell’s deployment
Your phone and electric car will be the base stations of the future; welcome to CrowdCell.
4GFi unleashing the power of 4G
4GFi is an intelligent application to take control of the Personal Hotspot concept to deliver opportunistic secure and seamless Wi-Fi access to all customers.
Entries to the IET Communications Innovation Award category will be considered for innovation in all aspects of communications.
Entries can range from research concepts and ideas to technical issues and industrial applications, and are encouraged from, but not limited to, the themes and topics in the following areas:
- Wireless and wired communications systems from sub-systems to complete networks and from technology to applications
- Fixed/mobile/converged voice and/or data communications infrastructure/network solutions
- Dedicated mobile applications and solutions
- Wireless and wireline networking incl. 4G and 5G developments
- Fibre, fibre devices, fibre amplifiers
- Waveguide and optoelectronic devices
- Subsystems for optical networks
- Point-to-point transmission systems
- Optical transport and wide-area networks
- Access, local area and intra-data centre networks incl. Big Data Networking and Management
- Propagation and spectrum management
- Network, service, mobility and resource management
- M2M, IoT, Smart Sensors
- Satellite communications – HTS, micro satellites
- Wearable communication technology