The IET Innovation Awards
Scope of category
This category is intended to recognise innovation in the development of Intelligent Systems – the new wave of embedded and real-time systems that are typically:
- Highly connected
- Have massive processing power
- Perform complex, often safety-critical or mission-critical, applications
These systems are creating new opportunities for industry and business, and new experiences for users and consumers. They can be found in all domains: automotive, rail, aerospace, defence, energy, healthcare, telecoms and consumer electronics.
The Intelligent Systems category covers new and innovative technologies that are designed to meet a commercial engineering need. Entries are invited for technologies at any stage of development.
The types of Intelligent Systems for which innovation will be recognised include those that:
- Automate and enhance the execution of complex and demanding tasks, potentially utilising advanced Human Machine Interfaces
- Derive new value from connectivity, either connecting Human-Machine or Machine-Machine
- Enable and assure the safe, secure and dependable operation of systems and enterprises
Please note: Particular Intelligent Systems may fall into more than one of the categories above.
The judges will be interested in innovations in the representative disciplines and competences that apply to Intelligent Systems, namely:
- Systems engineering, including system architecture, real-time systems and model-based technology
- Software engineering, from hard real-time systems to enterprise-wide critical applications (excluding Information Technology)
- Hardware and electronics engineering, including silicon and board design
- Safety engineering, introducing innovative safety-critical systems, or advances in the techniques and methods of demonstrating and managing safety
- Security engineering, introducing secure embedded systems, or advances in the techniques and methods of demonstrating and managing security
About the sponsor
Altran is a global leader in high tech engineering consultancy. We enable the development, deployment and integration of innovative and intelligent technologies – from safety-critical air traffic management systems to advanced human-machine interfaces.
We are a trusted engineering and innovation partner of major businesses throughout the automotive, aerospace, defence, energy, rail, life sciences and telecoms sectors. In the UK we have offices in Bath, Bristol, London, Loughborough, Manchester and Warwick. The Altran Group has 500 major clients and a global network of 20,000 employees, operating in over 20 countries.