16 November 2016 | The Brewery, London, UK
2016 category sponsor
Other IET awards
Sponsored by Altran
Congratulations to our finalists
The following entries have been shortlisted for the 2016 Intelligent Systems Award:
Weather rules and their applications to forecasting telecommunications engineering activities
Globally, telecommunications operators react frantically to communication infrastructure malfunctions and customer urgency calls under extreme weather conditions. We developed a software toolkit to help operators proactively deploy resources to deal with business impact of extreme weather by using novel data analysis, demand forecasting and information visualisation technology.
Heathrow Terminal 3 integrated baggage – Automated baggage loading
Automated baggage loading in Terminal 3 pioneers the application of robot technology to a complex, physically demanding, repetitive operational process. By adapting robot technology baggage handling is safer, cleaner and increases throughput. Heathrow is adopting innovative processes to deliver the best airport service in the world.
Heathrow Airport Ltd
Creating intelligent radiation detection networks to defend against nuclear terrorism
The threat from terrorists of the detonation of a 'dirty bomb', i.e. a device using conventional explosives surrounded by nuclear material, is real. Kromek has developed an intelligent system that can provide real time detection of threat materials which can be networked across a whole city.
Kromek Group plc
The Threads intelligent message hub
Threads combines a whole company’s digital messages – emails and telephone calls – into one intuitive, easily-searchable web-based resource. Threads uses artificial intelligence to analyse and create “threads of discussion” and automatically maintain contact and project records. By analysing all conversations, Threads can extract information otherwise hidden from individual users.
Mail Robot Solutions Ltd
Wearable system for communication and navigation Bip2See
Bip2See is a wearable innovation system based on artificial vision, sounds and speech able to help blind, with dementia or Alzheimer and autistic and elderly people to navigate and communicate in a natural way. The system creates routes, guide, and recognize people and banknotes currency read signals and textual images.
Universitat Politècnica de Valencia
Manufacturing Technology information
- Automating and enhancing the execution of complex and demanding tasks
- Derive new value from connectivity, either connecting Human-Machine or Machine-Machine
- Enabling and assuring the safe, secure and dependable operation of systems and enterprises
- Systems engineering, including system architecture, real-time systems and model-based technology
- Software engineering, from hard real-time systems to enterprise-wide critical applications (excluding Information Technology)
- Hardware and electronics engineering, including silicon and board design
- Safety engineering, introducing innovative safety-critical systems, or advances in the techniques and methods of demonstrating and managing safety
- Security engineering, introducing secure embedded systems, or advances in the techniques and methods of demonstrating and managing security
- The title of your entry should describe the content and not include the name of your company or organisation with no more than 15 words
- You may enter up to three categories with each innovation but will require a separate entry form for each
- Ensure you actually describe how your innovation works (simple, but not always the case!)
- No sales jargon please
- Be specific to the questions posed
- Remember to refer back to the judging criteria
- Please remember that it is quality over quantity. Pay attention to the guideline words lengths
- The description in question five may be used to describe your innovation in any general marketing and publicity that the institution does on your behalf should your entry reach finalist stage of the awards. This marketing will reach a very broad audience and needs to be constructed in non-technical terms. It should not simply repeat the entry title as the two will usually be listed together
There are three simple steps to entering the awards