Supported by the IMechE
Manufacturing Technology Award Winner 2014
Wavelength Scanning Interferometer (WSI) for embedded metrology
University of Huddersfield
|The WSI is an instrument for measurement of micro/nano geometry and surface topography in harsh production environments. It provides robust solutions for on/in-line, non-contact, high speed measurement. It supports future factory targets: moving measurement from standard laboratories to production platforms in order to enhance quality and reduce measurement costs significantly.|
The judging panel commented:
"WSI demonstrated clearly the effective use of science and technology to enhance the manufacturing process. Driving innovation and delivering significant quality and financial benefit to many companies."
Unique led-based detection and ranging technology that adds sensing intelligence to countless innovations
|Developed by LeddarTech, Leddar (Light-Emitting Diode Detection and Ranging) is a patented technology that combines LED lighting, the time-of-flight of light principle and innovative signal processing to provide an accurate and robust sensing/distance measurement solution. Available as easy-to-integrate, adaptable modules or finished products, Leddar is well suited for countless applications.|
BladeWash aqueous washer for turbine manufacturers
|A state-of-the-art washing machine for cleaning single crystal turbine blades for a world famous jet engine manufacturer for civil and defence aircraft. The BladeWash machine forces up to thirty litres per second of washing solution through a shoe box sized washing chamber creating phenomenal amounts of cleaning energy.|
microPEM TackPin fastener replaces micro screws
|This product provides a needed alternative for design engineers. For their designs that do not require disassembly, they can eliminate the manufacturing concerns inherent with micro screws, reduce costs, and provide a better product to their customers.|
Hybrid printing of metal-mesh as transparent conductors for touch panels
|Innovative use of printed electronics to create an alternative technology to ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) for making touch panels. The technology has been implemented for high volume manufacturing and proven to have better conductivity, better transparency and lower cost than any existing technologies.|
Manufacturing Technology information
All the information about the Manufacturing Technology category can be found here.
Entries to the Manufacturing Technology category are welcomed from manufacturing companies of any size, whether independently owned or as part of a larger organisation.
Nominees may choose to showcase innovation within products brought to market within the last five years, or processes within the plant where potential has been realised.
Submissions may include any innovation associated with manufacturing, including but not limited to:
- Innovative use of emerging technologies, e.g. additive manufacturing/3D printing, printed electronics, ubiquitous sensors
- Innovative use of automation to improve aspects such as:
- Cost reduction
- Energy efficiency
- Reduction in pollutants
- Flexible / agile production
- Market response / customisation
- End of life re-use
- Innovative use of metrology and non-destructive testing
- Innovative use of lasers for high integrity fabrication laser cladding or non-conventional machining
- Innovative use of adaptive tooling and fixturing
- New processes for metal removal or innovative applications of conventional CNC machining centres
- Innovative use of materials e.g. genetic material & bio scaffolding
- Innovative integration of design and manufacturing objectives
- Innovation within the supply chain, e.g.
- Development of clusters
- Shared innovation programmes with suppliers
- IP Protection