Is life quantum mechanical?
18 April 2013 | IET London: Savoy Place
About the speaker
‘Nothing moves through space faster than light but space itself can stretch at any speed.’
Jim Al-Khalili OBE is a theoretical nuclear physicist, author and broadcaster.
As well as a personal chair in physics at the University of Surrey he is also the first Surrey Professor of Public Engagement in Science. He gained his PhD, nuclear reaction theory in 1989 and has published widely in the field.
In particular, he is known for his work on the structure of halo nuclei. He is active as a science communicator and has written a number of popular science books, between them translated into over twenty languages.
- University of Surrey Professor of Public Engagement in Science and Professor of Physics
- President of the British Humanist Association
- Fellow of Institute of Physics
- Member of Royal Society Vision Committee for science and mathematics education 5–19
- Member of Royal Society Equality and Diversity Awareness Network
- Member of Editorial Board for the (new open access) Journal PMC Physics A
- Associate Editor of Advanced Science Letters
- Member of Cheltenham Science Festival Advisory Committee
- Member of British Science Association Physics and Astronomy Section Committee
- Regular referee for Phys Rev, Phys Rev Letts, Nuclear Physics, Journal of Physics G
- Referee for UK Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) fellowships