How to apply for a Power Academy scholarship
Please note: you cannot hold more than one company-sponsored scholarship. Examples of scholarships that disqualify you from eligibility for a company-sponsored IET Power Academy Scholarship are the IET Diamond Jubilee Scholarship, E3 Academy, UKESF, GCHQ and BP. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions on a scholarship you hold.
Help and assistance
Power Academy help and assistance to ensure your Power Academy application succeeds!
- Scholarship process and general hints / interview tips
- Frequently asked questions
The application process must be completed online, there is no downloadable form to complete.
Read the questions and requirements prior to opening the online application system.
Answer all the questions fully to tell us about yourself.
This information will be used as the first part of the application process and will be the basis of the decision to invite you to an assessment centre.
If you are invited to attend a company assessment centre, typical areas they will be looking for are your team working skills, communications, problem solving and organisational skills.
Dress for success - wear an appropriate outfit i.e. a suit or smart wear to stand out from the rest. It also demonstrates that you are taking the interview seriously and that you are ready to move on to become a young professional.
Find out more about the assessment centre.
If you are invited for interview the following will be helpful:
- Interview preparation – research the company, know their programmes or roles, understand their recruitment criteria, prepare a list of questions you want to ask and take it along to the interview. Have a mock interview with friends or with professionals i.e. Career Service Advisor. Take a copy of your application form with you to the interview so that you can refer to it
- Plan your journey – be on time don’t add to your stress levels by running late. It’s best to be calm, cool and collected
- Dress for success – wear an appropriate outfit i.e. a suit or smart wear to stand out from the rest. It also demonstrates that you are taking the interview seriously and that you are ready to move on to become a young professional
- Attitude – be positive – approach the interview with confidence, smile, be enthusiastic, show how passionate you are for the opportunity
- Remember – you have been invited to the interview because you have already demonstrated potential on the application form. Fundamentally companies want you to be successful they don’t want to have to turn people away
- Be yourself – don’t try to second guess what the company is looking for and don’t try to be something you are not. If you do, then you will be masking your natural qualities and strengths and ultimately presenting a mixed picture
- Interviewers – the interview can be just as challenging for the Interviewer. An interviewer has to be multi-skilled, they have to be able to ask you questions and write the answers at the same time. Help them as much as possible by preparing for the interview
The following will be helpful at all stages of the process:
- Competency preparation – prepare a list of good examples that will demonstrate your competencies i.e. communication skills – a great example of a time when you have communicated well on a one to one basis or in a group. Prepare a list of answers to more general questions i.e. Why are you interested in the company? Take the lists with you to the interview
- Honesty – at all times. One dishonest answer can discredit everything else you say
- Responsibilities – you have responsibility too, if you don’t tell Companies about your experiences then how can they evaluate you?
- Learn from the experience – if you are not successful, then move on and don’t take it personally. Make sure you obtain feedback where it is provided
There are up to 57 scholarships being offered by the companies listed below, for the 2017-2018 intake.
|BAE Systems||3||RWE Generation||2|
|Mitsubishi||1||SP Energy Networks||4|
|Northern Powergrid||3||Western Power Distribution||10|