2012 Power Academy seminar
The 2012 Power Academy Seminar was held at the Mercure Holland House Hotel, Cardiff on 12 – 13 July 2012.
The Power Academy essay challenge
The power academy scholars were invited to write 700 words on one of the topics listed below.
- How might power companies encourage safety culture at the workplace?
- In your opinion what are the key aspects of attracting, engaging and maintaining key skills in the power sector?
- What are the considerations in understanding customer requirements?
- What emerging technologies to meet clean energy challenges would you recommend the sector to consider?
- What are the key efficiency/engineering challenges necessary for improving power network efficiency?
A record number of entries were received and the quality exceeded the judges expectations.
The winners Thomas Smith, Matthew Nethercote and David Bell were announced at the gala dinner on 12 July 2012 and will receive an invitation to attend the IET Annual Dinner in 2013 and put up in a London Hotel.
The top three essayists also get a one week trip to the Anglo German Energy Seminar in Germany next July. The seminar is supported by several UK companies such as National Grid, UK Power Networks and RWE Npower in addition to several power companies in Germany such as RWE and Vattenfall.
All winnings essays can be downloaded below: