About IET SIL Determination 2014
Industry increasingly relies upon safety systems to maintain and protect operating assets. The concept of Safety Integrity Levels (SIL) is fundamental in ensuring a system satisfactorily performs the required safety functions under all stated conditions, within a defined time period.
Accurately determining the Safety Integrity Level for your system is a topic which generates significant debate within industry across the safety-related community, particularly in relation to standards such as IEC 61508, IEC 61511 and IEC 62061.
Join us for a complete day of cross-industry learning current practices, developments and lessons learned on SIL determination, with a particular focus upon the process industries.
The event will highlight the benefits of certain approaches as well as the pitfalls of others and the effects of inappropriate SIL determinations.
- Meet the minds behind the IEC 61508 safety standard – our Chairman is member of one of the two teams responsible for the development & revision of IEC 61508
- Understand the concepts and the importance of SIL determination
- Hear topical case studies and get to know best emerging practices from a range of industry sectors working to deliver functional system safety – aerospace, automotive, defence, energy, transport
- Attend interactive 10 December workshop on the role of SIL determination in achieving a tolerable risk, laying the foundation for a diverse programme of the seminar the following day
- A neutral setting to inspire debate into whether the benefits and assurance provided by a particular SIL can be achieved by alternative means
- Ron Bell OBE, Director, ESC Ltd (Seminar Chairman)
The importance of SILs in meeting risk targets
- Simon Burwood, Technical Director, ESC Ltd
A review of different methods of SIL determination
- Paul Caseley, DSTL
Considerations in the application of IEC 61508 for MOD safety critical systems
- Steve Frost, Principal Inspector: Nuclear Safety, Office for Nuclear Regulation - Civil Nuclear Reactors Programme
- Mike Nicholas, COMAH Technical Advisor, Environment Agency, UK
Tolerability of environmental risk - establishment targets and SILs
- Helen Monkhouse, Global Product Safety Manager, Protean Electric Ltd
SIL Determination in the automotive sector
- Ron Pierce, Independent Functional Safety Consultant, JDF Consultancy LLP
SIL Determination for Air Traffic Control equipment
- Peter Sheppard, Senior Safety Engineer and Validator, Bombardier Transportation
SIL determination in the rail sector