Submit your application
Our Young Woman Engineer of the Year Awards are annual awards which look for the best young women engineers in the UK.
There are currently three prizes which are awarded at a national ceremony in London in December, covered by print and broadcast media.
All of our winners will have the opportunity to attend high profile events and meet the most influential people in our industry.
Find out more about our three awards:
How to apply
- Before applying, please ensure you have read the criteria section.
- Please also ensure you read the instructions on this page entirely – most queries we receive are usually due to the submission instructions not being read properly.
The application process
All online applications must be completed by the person applying (you cannot fill it out on behalf of someone else), and a completed nominators form submitted by 7 July 2019 17:00 (BST) if it is to be considered.
Reviewing of applications
- All applications will be reviewed and candidate notified w/c 19 August 2019.
- Successful candidates (or, the “Shortlist”) will be invited to an interview which will be in London on 5 September 2019.
- The top five shortlisted candidates (or “the Finalists”) will have a short film produced about them which will be played at the ceremony and used to help promote the awards and women in engineering.
- All finalists will be required to attend the ceremony held at the IET London: Savoy Place, on Thursday, 5 December 2019.
Submitting your application
Register as a new user on the online submission system
- Enter the YWE online submission system.
- Register as a new user: fill in the “Create a New Account” field.
- Use the details that you have entered whenever returning to the system.
Completing the online entry form
- Login to the submission system.
- Select the award that you wish to apply for.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete all fields.
- Complete all fields within the application form.
Once all fields are complete, you will be sent a confirmation email containing your submission reference number. Please use this reference number in all future correspondence with the organisers.
Free text questions suggestions
- Don’t type directly into the free-text answer boxes – if you don’t press “next” before closing, you will lose your text.
- For the longer, free text questions pre-prepare your answers in a word document and then copy and paste.
- Don’t forget to check that your answer fits within the word limit!
Remember you can always go back to change / tweak answers at any time before the deadline.
Completing the nominator’s form
Please ensure that you have an endorser in advance of completing your submission. You will need to provide both their name and email address for your submission. They will receive a form to fill in via email once you have filled their details in and clicked the send button.
Please ensure that you endorser is prepared to fill in the form as soon as possible as your application will not be considered completed until this has been received.
Making changes to your entry
You can go back and finish / amend/updated any section(s) you wish and / or re-upload an updated version of your endorsement form at any time up until the closing date of 7 July 2019, 17:00 (BST).
- Judging will be based solely on the information submitted by the candidate and the nominator.
- Decisions reached will be regarded as final after the decisions have been announced.
- The IET reserves the right not to present any listed YWE award / prize.
- The IET or other associated societies cannot meet any travelling or subsistence expenses for candidates, either prior to or during the awards.
If you have any queries about the submission process or you want to withdraw your application please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.